- ESPN only selected two Big East games for its use on Championship Saturday. Tack on the ACC Championship game and that's only three games for ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 to use out of possibly seven game slots (excluding the possibility of the BYU-Hawai'i being televised later in the evening). We've heard the rumblings of Big 12 games moving to Championship Saturday. Bank on it.
- ESPN is nearly done with their Thursday night schedule. Three spots remain (9/1, 9/8 and Thanksgiving) and it seems likely that all three will end up being Big 12 slots. There are solid choices for 9/1 and 9/8 for the Big 12. There was discussion about moving the Lone Star Showdown or Bedlam to December. With Thanksgiving open, it feels more likely that Bedlam is moving.
- The Friday night schedule is close to completion as well. Four Big East slots and three BYU games are confirmed. Likely a Black Friday game from the Big East will end up here too. Also expecting the MAC Championship again on a Friday night. That would leave the Sun Belt, WAC and MAC to fill 5-6 slots.
- The Big East again had a Wednesday night football game scheduled. In my opinion as a Big East fan, it sucks. It is also part of the contract that was negotiated nearly four years ago. Not much can be done.
- I don't know if its guaranteed that there will be Black Friday games on ABC, but they gave themselves the possibility of such an occurrence with the Big East schedule. I'd expect a Big East-Big 12 doubleheader.
- The Wake Forest-Syracuse & Marshall-West Virginia games could be moved to alternate dates. I don't see either game moving to Labor Day as the undercard for Maryland-Miami (FL). Wake Forest and Marshall follow up these games by opening their conference schedules. My guess is that both would prefer not to open those schedules on four days rest. One game might move to Friday night. The other may stay on Saturday and not move at all.
- FOX is likely going through the C-USA schedule right now, attempting to move games around to Black Friday, Labor Day and Thursday nights. I'm expecting their television schedule to be done on a 12 day basis, with CBS Sports Network and FOX Sports Media Group reserving time slots on Saturdays.
Friday, February 25, 2011
Early 2011 schedule analysis
Five AQ conferences have finalized their schedules along with Conference USA. Let's take a look at a few things